This Solo Exhaust kit is classed as an “American Muscle” performance exhaust kit, it has a no drone wonderful exhaust note. This exhaust kit is for the enthusiasts that like a louder car. It has more sound than the G8 Mach and is definitely more aggressive both under load and while cruising. The Mach-Shorty –Balanced has a balance pipe incorporated into the front exhaust pipe to smooth out and soften the exhaust note. It has a wonderful mid range + exhaust note.
Outside the cabin it has a rich smooth deep muscle car sound that’s sure to turn heads. Inside the cabin it is fairly quiet. When you hear this exhaust kit on a drive by, it’s unbelievable that it is as quiet outside as it is on the inside. It uses Solo’s 11” Mach muffler and J-pipes, stainless steel (inside and out,) staggered dual exhaust tips and mandrel bent exhaust pipe.
1-10 scale… 1 being stock quiet and 10 being rockin’ noisy
Overall note outside cabin is a 6.
Overall inside cabin exhaust note 4.
The G8 Mach-Shorty-Balanced exhaust kit has more sound, and a meaner sound compared to the G8 Mach. While the G8 Mach has a moderate or mid range exhaust note outside the cabin the G8 Mach-Shorty-Balanced exhaust kit has that true ‘American Muscle” sound. The exhaust note throughout the spectrum never even hints at raspy or ricey. Deep, full, smooth and mean would characterize the exhaust note outside the cabin. Inside the cabin it still remains tasteful.
8cyl to 4cyl jump…smooth transition.
4cyl to 8cyl jump…sharper octave change, definitely more pronounced than either the Mach or the Mach-Balanced exhaust kit.
Going up hills… You can hear the extra “pull” when going up hills but it never gets to a drone or hum.
Feedback on this Exhaust Kit
The 4cyl mode has a low “guttural” sound. It’s not a drone or even a hum, but it’s a less than perfect tone that is best described as “guttural.” We recommend that if you go with the Mach-Shorty kits, you should “tune” out the 4cyl mode. The 4 cyl “guttural” sound in more pronounced with the 11” long Mach muffler. Many will say it’s acceptable as it doesn’t drone but some will not like the tone.
Too quiet inside the car. Many “enthusiasts” like to hear the car inside as well as outside. The J-pipes do such a good job of eliminating the “drone frequencies” that the car remains reasonably quiet inside while being loud outside.
Probable customers – People that like louder performance. The “car enthusiasts.” Customers that like to hear that “edge” when driving hard but still like a reasonably quiet car inside.
Optional Solo Performance “Kooks to Solo” High Flow Cats Specs:
- 200 cell stainless steel spiral wound design. This design is long lasting, ultra-high flow, and completely stainless inside and out.
- Converters are far overrated for the car, at 6.0L per side. That’s 12.0L of cleaning ability.
- Includes a special design stainless steel 3/8” thick front flange.
- All mandrel bent pipes, O2 bungs, and welds are stainless steel.
- No CEL or engine lights.
- Solo O2 extenders (supplied) are required in the rear O2 bungs.
- Works with G8 Mach, Mach-Shorty, Mach-Balanced and Mach-Shorty-Balanced.
- 100% BOLT ON! 100% STAINLESS- one small cut on each side and then use the supplied band clamps! No welding necessary!!!
- Off road version with not cats available!